Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Movie of the Month: The Accidental Tourist (August 2012)


This is Kasden's fourth writing/directing effort, the first being a masterpiece called Body Heat (which also starred William Hurt and Kathleen Turner, although with a lot less clothing).  He also happened to write Empire Strikes BackRaiders of the Lost Arc and wrote/directed the Big Chill.  


This film isn't nearly as good as the ones listed above and I think I may end up being alone on this, but kind of liked it or at the very least didn't hate it.  I understand all of Dan's points, but I think he may have been heavily influenced by a negative comment in the film about the food in Cleveland.  Also, I knew what Kasden did to his Grandma and I didn't say or do anything, and for that I'll never forgive myself.  And maybe I'm in the dark here but I happen to think "burnt out light bulbs" are very interesting.  I actually didn't mind William Hurts' character, Macon.  I too don't possess emotions so I felt as though I could relate at times with Macon, although some other times he was Macon me crazy waiting for him to do something interesting.  The plot could have been more engaging, but it was interesting enough for me.

Patty has some good points too, but "no redeeming qualities of any characters" that seems a bit harsh.  Bill Pullman's character will do anything to make his marriage work and looks great in both a crew cut and v-neck sweaters (if that isn't a redeeming quality I don't know what is).  The movie is certainly dreary, but I don't think that is necessarily a negative.  Also, you're right!  There are a lot of "tragedy - divorce - new lover . . ." movies out there, but this is the first one I have seen with a travel book writer that hates traveling and is emotionally saved by a dog trainer.

Geena Davis was convincing as the persistent dog trainer, Murial (I don't know if it was worthy of the supporting oscar that she got for the role, but she was good).  She just won't quit pursuing Macon, regardless of how many times he refuses.  My favorite part is when Macon goes to Murial's place to leave her the letter to say he couldn't come over.  He gives this big speech about his loss and how he isn't ready to be around a child, and she pulls him in by the sleeve like one of the animals she trains, and rewards him with a sleepover.  After that he falls in love with the child (not in a Sandusky way).  His ex-wife never really stood a chance.  I think that the main reason he ends up with Murial is because of the child, and his desire to play what could have been.  And I think Murial is after him for his money and the father figure he will be for her son.  And they both get what they want, everybody wins (except Kathleen Turner, she's the big loser in this one). 

All in all the movie seemed a little different, and kept my attention.  This is not a rave review, but it was okay.
- hide quoted text -

No comments:

Post a Comment