Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Movie of the Week 4/4/2011: Killer Klowns From Outer Space (1988)

I will be writing a post each week based on one movie that I have seen from that week.

Here is a list of films that I have seen this week that I would of had to choose from.

Tangled (2010) - Disney's re-imagining of the classic Rapunzel tale.  Can you imagine what her shower drain looks like?

Homicide (1991) - Another Montegna/Mamet collaboration.  People don't really talk like they do in a Mamet movie, but they ought to.

Despicable Me (2010) - Much better than I thought it would be.  Is it more creepy that I saw two children's films this week without children or if I had seen them with children?

Some Came Running (1958) - Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin and Shirley MacLaine.  There is one simple message that is conveyed in this Frank Sinatra character study, Love stinks.

Note: Don't read this next blurb if you haven't seen Inception, Revolutionary Road or Shutter Island.

Inception (2010) - Just saw Inception for the second time and enjoyed it more than the first.  The first time I had extremely high expectations and was a little disappointed.  This second time I just sat back and enjoyed, I think I was too harsh the first time.  Also, isn't it a strange coincidence that in Leonardo DiCaprio's last three films he has been largely if not completely responsible for his wife's death.


I had the full intention of christening the "movie of the week" with the Cary Grant (one of my favorite actors) film, People Will Talk (1951).  But for a number of reasons that didn't work out.  Not the least of which is that I didn't see it.

What I have decided to write about is a film I saw at the Silent Movie Theatre Friday night . . .


KILLER KLOWNS FROM OUTER SPACE (1988)
Tagline: Alien Bozos With An Appetite For Close Encounters


KILLER KLOWNS DEMANDS A KROWD
A friend of mine invited me recently to a midnight screening of Killer Klowns From Outer Space.  To which I replied "I'll be there, I'm not Stupid."  Which is the perfect response because if you have an opportunity to see a movie like this with an audience you have to jump at it.  I have seen plenty of cult films in theatre and I haven't regretted any one of them.  As a matter of fact I rented this film Ricky Oh: The Legend of Ricky, it was supposed to be gory and cult cool.  I found it to be a little boring and almost too ridiculous to watch.  But a couple years later I was at a double-feature of Evil Dead 2: Dead by Dawn and Raising Arizona and there was a mystery film that was supposed to cap it off.  Guess what the last film was, that's right, Ricky Oh.  I almost left, but I had so much fun watching the first two films with an audience that I stayed.  I ended up having an incredible time.  Watching it with an audience allowed me to look at the film from a new perspective, and allowed me to laugh at the absurd instead of scoffing at it.  Killer Klowns From Outer Space is sort of like that, although I have enjoyed it in the past without an audience.  At the screening they doused the audience with popcorn at the same time that a clown shot a popcorn gun.  It was a great interactive moment, it was how I imagined a screening of Rocky Horror Picture might go down (with less dildos and dress up of course).

With an audience is where really bad acting really shines through.  Awkward exchanges with inexperienced actors that normally are tedious to sit through become hilarious, all it takes is one person to chuckle and then the whole audience erupts.  There is no shortage of these moments in Killer Klowns.  A lot of cult horror/comedies are funny because of these exchanges or because they tried to be scary and were so outrageously bad that it was funny.  This is not the case with Klowns.  Sure the acting isn't great, with the exception of John Vernon, but the film is trying to be funny and is successful for the most part.

If you are looking for a movie with an interesting story, plot or character arc this may not be the one for you.  It is about an alien species of Klowns that make a pit stop on planet Earth for a bite to eat.  There food of chose is . . . you guessed it, human flesh.  Killer Klowns is really a series of bits where Killer Klowns clown around while they kill people or with people that are already dead.  They use ray guns that turn people into giant cotton candies, ventriloquist acts with a dead men, drink blood through a crazy straw, throw acid filled pies, eat people with a shadow puppet and much much more.  And you may ask yourself how can you defeat such evil?  There is only one way, by destroying their red noses.  Some people die, some people live, either way it is a lot of fun.  And they leave it open for a sequel.


If you can't see it in the theatre, which almost no one can, rent it and watch it with a couple friends.  It is meant to be enjoyed with a group, if you watch it alone you will be missing out on the experience.  The last time I had watched this film before the screening was with a couple of friends in college, and we took a shot every time someone screamed.  Definitely a good drinking game movie, we had a great time, for a while at least until we got ridiculously drunk and then ridiculously sick.  It was worth every drop, in or out.





. Pixies
. Sweet Special Effects
. Knowing that you are ridiculous

No comments:

Post a Comment